Ruthanne Christie, Executive Director
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation is responsible for licensing and regulating asbestos contractors and asbestos consultants. The Department’s Bureau of Central Intake and Licensure processes applications for licensure and refers complex applications to the asbestos licensing office for final review. The Division of Regulation is responsible for complaint analysis and investigations, and the Office of the General Counsel provides prosecutorial services for disciplinary cases. The Department engages in rulemaking to implement the provisions set forth in its statutes and conducts other general business, as necessary.
CJC – Asbestos Contractor – Qualified and responsible for the contracted project and who offers to, undertakes to, submits a bid to, or does, individually or by employing others, remove, encapsulate, or enclose asbestos-containing materials or dispose of asbestos-containing materials or asbestos containing waste, in the course of activities including but not limited to, construction, renovation, maintenance or demolition.
AX, AF, DD, EA, IA – Asbestos Consultant – Offers to, undertakes to, submits a bid to or does, individually or by employing others, conducts surveys for asbestos-containing materials, develop operation and maintenance plans, monitor and evaluate asbestos abatement, prepare asbestos abatement specifications, or perform related tasks.
ZA – Asbestos Business – A business which is qualified by either an Asbestos Contractor or Consultant to perform the work within the scope of the qualifier’s license.
The requirements for becoming licensed in Florida are described in the statutes and rules. Choose a license type to apply.
- Asbestos Contractor – Examination (ALU 6)
- Asbestos Contractor – Re-Examination (ALU 6)
- Asbestos Contractor – Licensure as an Individual (ALU 1)
- Asbestos Contractor – Licensure as an Individual – Inactive (ALU 1)
- Asbestos Contractor – Professional Licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses (MVL 003)
- Asbestos Consultant – Examination (ALU 6)
- Asbestos Consultant – Re-Examination (ALU 6)
- Asbestos Consultant – Licensure as an Individual (ALU 1)
- Asbestos Consultant – Licensure as an Individual – Inactive (ALU 1)
- Asbestos Consultant – Professional Licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses (MVL 003)
Continuing Education Provider and Course Approval
DBPR offers examinations in a computer-based testing (CBT) format. Candidates who have been approved to sit for an examination may do so by contacting the department’s examination vendor, Pearson VUE. Examinations are available on a daily basis at testing sites throughout the world. For more information, including to schedule an examination, visit the Examination Information page.
- Florida Military Veteran Fee Waiver
- Florida National Guard Fee Waiver
- Military Personnel, Veterans and Military Spouses Licensing Fee Waiver
- Low Income Waiver of Licensing Fee
Note: If you have previously applied for your license, you may check your application status.
|License Types||Continuing Education Requirements||Fee||Expiration Date|
|Asbestos Contractor||Completion of a one day course for each calendar year prior to the license renewal date.||$155||11/30 Even Year|
|Asbestos Consultant||Completion of two days of refresher courses for each calendar year prior to the license renewal date.||$155||11/30 Even Year|
|Asbestos Business||N/A||$255||11/30 Odd Year|
All requests for publications, documents, forms, applications for licenses, permits and other similar certifications can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Division of Professions
Asbestos Licensing Unit
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399