Robyn Barineau, Executive Director
The Barbers’ Board is responsible for licensing and regulating barbers. The board meets regularly to consider applications for licensure, to review disciplinary cases, and to conduct informal hearings relating to licensure and discipline. The board engages in rulemaking to implement the provisions set forth in its statutes and conducts other general business, as necessary.
BB – A “barber” is a person who is licensed to engage in the practice of barbering in the State of Florida. The term “barbering” means any of the following practices when done for remuneration and for the public, but not when done for the treatment of disease or physical or mental ailments: shaving, cutting, trimming, coloring, shampooing, arranging, dressing, curling, or waving the hair or beard; or applying oils, creams, lotions, or other preparations to the face, scalp, or neck, either by hand or by mechanical appliances.
BR – A “restricted barber” – a person whose practice is restricted to the terms, conditions and restrictions imposed on their license such as: hair cutting, shave, shampoo, blow dry hair, and apply hair tonics and hair sprays.
BA – A “barber assistant” – a person whose practice is confined solely to shampooing hair and applying hair tonics or conditioner under the supervision of a licensed Barber. The Barbers’ Board no longer issues new Barber Assistants’ licenses but those previously issued are renewed.
BS – A “barbershop” means any place of business wherein the practice of barbering is carried on.
The requirements for becoming licensed in Florida are described in the statutes and rules. Choose a license type to apply.
- Barber License by Examination (BAR 1) Start Now
- Barber License by Examination Based on Out-of-State or Out-of-Country License (BAR 2) Start Now
- Barber Re-Examination (BAR 3) Start Now
- Barber Initial License for Out-of-State or Out-of-Country Applicants (Endorsement) (BAR 4) Start Now
- Barber Professional licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses Start Now
- Restricted Barber License By Examination (BAR 1) Start Now
- Restricted Barber License by Examination Based on Out-of-State or Out-of-Country License (BAR 2) Start Now
- Restricted Barber Re-Examination (BAR 3) Start Now
- Restricted Barber Professional Licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses (MVL 003) Start Now
Continuing Education Provider and Course Approval
DBPR offers examinations in a computer-based testing (CBT) format. Candidates who have been approved to sit for an examination may do so by contacting the department’s examination vendor, Pearson VUE. Examinations are available on a daily basis at testing sites throughout the world. For more information, including to schedule an examination, visit the Examination Information page.
- Florida Military Veteran Fee Waiver
- Florida National Guard Fee Waiver
- Military Personnel, Veterans and Military Spouses Licensing Fee Waiver
- Low Income Waiver of Licensing Fee
Note: If you have previously applied for your license, you may check your application status.
- Barber License from Null and Void (Expired License) (BAR 6) Start Now
- Restricted Barber License from Null and Void (Expired License) (BAR 6) Start Now
- Individual – Request for Duplicate License, Name Change, Address Change, or Status Change (BAR 9) Start Now
- Barbershop – Request for Duplicate License, Mailing Address Change, or Close Barbershop (BAR 10) Start Now
|License Types||Continuing Education Requirements||Fee||Expiration Date|
|Barber||2 hours of CE – minimum of 2 hours board-approved HIV/AIDS||$75||7/31/EVEN Year|
|Restricted Barber||2 hours of CE – minimum of 2 hours board-approved HIV/AIDS||$75||7/31/EVEN year|
|Barber Assistant||N/A||$5||7/31/EVEN Year|
|Barber Shop||N/A||$110||11/30/EVEN year|
All requests for publications, documents, forms, applications for licenses, permits and other similar certifications can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Division of Professions
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0791