A Florida cosmetology license is required to perform cosmetology services. For applicants who have completed their cosmetology education in Florida, you must apply utilizing this form.
- AGE: Cosmetology applicants for licensure by examination must be at least 16 years of age or have received a high school diploma.
- EDUCATION: Applicants must complete 1,200 school hours in a cosmetology program. Florida cosmetology students must apply for licensure by examination. Please review the application instructions for a full list of requirements.
- EXAMINATION: Applicants must complete both portions of the examination within a two-year period from the date of the first attempt of either portion of the exam. If both portions of the examination are not passed within a two year period, the applicant will be required to pass both portions of the examination again. If the applicant fails either portion of the examination on the first attempt, the applicant can submit a reexamination application without any additional signatures from the cosmetology school. Remedial hours may be required with verification by the school. For more information regarding the Cosmetology examination, please review the Cosmetology License Examination Candidate Information Booklet.
- HIV/AIDS COURSE: Applicants who completed their education at a Florida school should submit the initial HIV/AIDS course completion certificate received from their school. The HIV/AIDS course must have been completed within two years prior to submitting an application and must be at least four hours long. For more information, please refer to our list of board-approved Initial HIV/AIDS Courses.
- GRADUATE CERTIFICATION: A completed Graduate Certification Form from Section III of form COSMO 1 must be submitted with your application.
- FEE: Pay the required fee as provided in the application. If applying online, you can pay with a credit card or electronic check. If mailing your application, please include a check payable to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Military veterans, their spouses and Florida National Guard members may be eligible for a fee waiver, fee reimbursement, and/or fee discount. Please visit our DBPR Military Services page for more information.
- APPLICATION: Complete the application by clicking on the “Online Services” link or the “Printable Application” link at the bottom of the page.
- Learn more about this profession’s application requirements (use the back button or arrow to return to this page).
- Learn more about this profession (use the back button or arrow to return to this page).
If you have questions or need assistance in completing this application, please call the Customer Contact Center at 850.487.1395 or use our convenient contact form.
All requests for publications, documents, forms, applications for licenses, permits and other similar certifications can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Division of Professions
Board of Cosmetology
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0791