TALLAHSSEE, Fla. – The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) today released the Northwood Centre toxicity report, outlining the poor air quality, mold and bat feces found at that location. The report was prepared by Dr. David Krause, a nationally recognized toxicologist.
The assessment was conducted to determine if mold growth and other microbial amplification sources were present within HVAC systems (air handling units and ducts) and occupied areas of DBPR leased offices at the Northwood Centre. Based upon internal inspections and sampling of HVAC systems and carpet dust samples the following conclusions have been made. Additionally, air samples to evaluate air concentrations of PCBs in offices were taken.
- All twelve (100%) of the Suites evaluated (60, 90, 92, 93, 96, 14, 16, 25-26, 32, 40, 42, and 50) had air handling units and/or ducts that were supporting active mold growth;
- Twenty-two of the twenty-four (~92%) air handling units sampled were found to be supporting active mold growth. The extent and severity of mold growth ranged from one or more major components to complete and thorough involvement;
- Twenty-three of the thirty-three (70%) ducts sampled were found to be supporting active mold growth;
- Seven of the nine (78%) supply diffusers sampled were found to be supporting active mold growth.
- 85% (63/74) of all sites sampled for mold clearly demonstrated the presence of active mold growth within HVAC systems.
- Bacterial endotoxins were detected in carpet samples (11 of 11) taken throughout the DBPR leased office areas, with levels ranging from 2,128 to 4,753,000 EU/g. Values averaged 454,095 with a median value of 24,360 EU/g. Many of the areas were considered to be elevated.
- PCB concentrations were non-detectable in most office areas with the exception of Suite 26. In the single sample where PCB Aroclor 1242 was detected the level was far below health-based risk values.
To view the complete report online, please follow this link:
The Northwood Centre was previously leased by the Department. DBPR’s Tallahassee branch employees relocated to two buildings in Tallahassee in response to poor air quality, ceiling leaks and bat feces in the Northwood Centre.
Secretary Lawson said, “The health and safety of DBPR employees is our number one priority. Given Dr. Krause’s findings, it’s clear that our leadership team made the right decision to move our employees out of the Northwood Centre as fast as possible. By moving to our new locations, we have ensured the safety and well-being of our employees, and will continue the department’s great work of licensing efficiently and regulating fairly.”