A medical gas wholesale distributor permit is required for wholesale distribution of medical gas, whether within or into this state.
- What is a “Medical Gas”? “Medical gas” means any liquefied or vaporized gas that is a prescription drug, including, without limitation, prescription medical oxygen (oxygen USP), whether it is alone or in combination with other gases.
- Repackaging Medical Gas = Manufacturing. Repackaging medical gases requires a manufacturer permit, as this permit is limited to the wholesale distribution of medical gas in the original sealed container that was purchased by that wholesale distributor.
- What is “repackaging”? The term includes repacking or otherwise changing the container, wrapper, or labeling to further the distribution of the medical gas. In this context, transferring or trans-filling medical gas from one container for another is also “repackaging”.
- Other Prescription Drug Activity Prohibited. A medical gas wholesale distributor may not possess any prescription drug other than medical gases – unless, of course, the person has other legal authorization appropriate for such activity.
- Fire Inspection. If the applicant intends to take physical possession of medical gases at the establishment, then the application must attach proof that the establishment has passed a fire inspection by the applicable state or local authorities.
Application: Businesses seeking this permit must complete the Department’s application. Mail or deliver the application and all required attachments to:
All requests for publications, documents, forms, applications for licenses, permits and other similar certifications can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Walter Copeland, Division Director
Division of Drugs, Devices and Cosmetics
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1047