Public Food Service and Lodging Establishment Definitions
The division licenses and regulates certain public food service establishments and public lodging establishments in Florida. Choose from the categories below for more information on the division’s food service and lodging regulation program.
Food Service and Lodging Information:
Authority – Laws and Rules
The division operates under the authority provided by the Florida Legislature through the Florida Statutes. Florida Statute 20.165 establishes the Division of Hotels and Restaurants within the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Chapter 509, Part 1, Florida Statutes, governs the licensing, inspection, and regulation of public lodging and public food service establishments. The Division also adopts rules governing the licensing, inspection, and regulation of public lodging and public food service establishments. These rules are located in Chapters 61C-1, 61C-3, 61C-4 and 61C-8 of the Florida Administrative Code.
Chapter 399, Florida Statutes, governs the licensing, inspection, and regulation of elevators, escalators, and other vertical conveyance devices. The Division also adopts rules governing the licensing, inspection, and regulation of elevators, escalators, and other vertical conveyance devices. These rules are located in Chapter 61C-5 of the Florida Administrative Code.
Additionally, Florida Statute 386.207 provides the Division authority to enforce the Florida Clean Indoor Air Act in public food service establishments not licensed by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco and in all public lodging establishments.
General Food & Lodging Information
Complaints and Complaint Issues
Food Service Plan Review
Hotels and Restaurants Advisory Council
Hospitality Education Program (HEP)
Statutes & Rules
Reports & Statistics
- Main Page
- Annual Reports
- Emergency Closure Reports
- Fire Violation Reports
- Food & Lodging Statistical Reports
- Food Misrepresentation Cases
- Public Records and Data Downloads
- Restaurant Disciplinary Reports
Food Safety Related Links
- Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Clean Hands Campaign (American Society for Microbiology)
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Food Recovery Resources
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- FDA Consumers Food Safety & Nutrition Information and Campaigns
- FDA Employee Health and Personal Hygiene Interactive Resource Disk
- Food Safety and Inspection Service Home Page (USDA)
- Food Safety and Inspection Service Recall Information Center
- National Fire Protection Association
- Partnership for Food Safety Education “Fight Bac”
- The Thermy Campaign (A national consumer education campaign designed by the USDA to promote the use of food thermometers)
Testing and Training
All requests for public records, complaints, forms, and applications for licenses can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Steven von Bodungen, Director
Division of Hotels and Restaurants
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1011