Florida law requires owners of new public food service or lodging establishments, and new owners of existing establishments, to obtain a license from the division before commencing operation. General information regarding the licensing process is available below and on our forms page. To review the types of licenses available, see our Licensing Guides page. For information about other food service regulatory agencies in Florida please visit the food service jurisdiction page.


Before the division may issue a license, each applicant must complete the following:

1. Plan Review (Food Service Only)

Florida law and rule requires operators of public food service establishments to submit properly prepared facility plans and specifications to the division for review and approval if the establishment is:

  • Newly constructed,
  • Remodeled,
  • Converted from another use, or
  • Reopened after being closed at least 1 year.

You may skip this requirement if your establishment does not meet these criteria. The division recommends completion of plan review approval before construction to avoid potential costly modifications. See our plan review page for more information.

2. License Applications

Applications are available online. Each operation requires a separate license.  Therefore, if you intend to serve food inside a lodging facility (such as a hotel), you will need a license for the hotel and a separate license for each food service operation on the premises.

3. License Fees  

To review license fees use our fee calculator or our fee schedules posted on the food service fee and lodging fee pages.  All new and change of ownership applications include a $50 application fee in addition to the license fees. Please know that by statute fees are prorated full year or half year only (FS 509.251). A full year fee is required unless submitting an application within six months or less of the expiration date in which case the half year fee applies (view state wide expiry dates here). Depending on your location, number of units and application date the length of your initial license period may vary after which the license period will be annual.

Pay online with your online application or if by mail include a check payable to the Division of Hotels and Restaurants.  For assistance in determining the correct license fee, please us the fee calculator or contact the department at 850.487.1395.

4. Submit Application and Fees

If not applying online – Mail the completed application and fees to:

Division of Hotels and Restaurants
Department of Business and Professional Regulation
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, Florida  32399-0783

Most applications are processed within a few business days once we receive them, please allow additional time when submitting by mail. For fastest turnaround apply online if available.

5. Opening Inspection

Each new license requires a satisfactory opening inspection except vacation rentals. If you have submitted your application and fees, have not heard from us in thirty days and are ready to open your establishment please contact the DBPR Customer Contact Center at 850-487-1395 to request an inspection. Please contact us several business days prior to your opening date to schedule the inspection.

  • Change of ownership applications do not require an inspection if the previous owner received a satisfactory inspection within 120 days before the application is processed. If there was no inspection within this time period, we will conduct the opening inspection after you legally become the new owner.
  • Inspectors do not routinely conduct pre-opening or courtesy inspections. Do not call to schedule an opening inspection unless you are absolutely ready to open.
  • When opening a newly built, converted or reopened establishment, do not begin to rent units or serve food to the public until obtaining a satisfactory inspection and a license to operate.
  • Have proof of other approvals onsite, such as building, electrical, fire, plumbing, etc.

6. License Renewals

Public food service and lodging establishment licenses must be renewed on an annual basis. The division attempts to remind licensees prior to their license expiring if the mailing address on file is accurate. It is the responsibility of the licensee to forward the renewal notice with the appropriate fee to the division. Operators who do not renew by the expiration date, regardless of receipt of notice, are regarded as operating without a license and subject to administrative actions by the division. Additionally, Florida law allows the division to assess an additional $50 late fee if the license is renewed after the expiration date.

Florida law requires the division to perform a sanitary and safety inspection on every public food service and lodging establishment periodically throughout the year.  See our inspections  page for more information.


In addition to obtaining a food or lodging license, we urge all applicants to make sure they comply with all other federal, state, and local requirements. These include:

8. County and Municipality Requirements

Regulations vary among counties and municipalities, and requirements from both may apply to your business.  Before making any significant financial commitment, such as signing a lease or construction contract, contact the separate Occupational License, Zoning, and Building authorities for your desired location.  Ask each for detailed requirements on opening or transferring ownership of a food or lodging business.  Contact information for these departments is in the “government” section of your local telephone book, or available on the Internet.

9. Sales Tax Registration Number

Obtain a Florida sales tax number or proof of exemption. Visit the Department of Revenue for further information.

10. Federal Employer Identification Number

Obtain a federal employer identification number (FEIN). Contact the U. S. Internal Revenue Service at: for a FEIN application.

11. Alcoholic Beverage Application

If you intend to sell alcoholic beverages, contact your local DBPR, Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, district office for an application. If approved, a DHR inspector will also perform a beverage inspection in conjunction with the opening inspection. Beverage licenses will not be issued to public food service establishments without a passed inspection and a license number assigned by the DHR. Send your completed application for a beverage license and a copy of your passed DBPR inspection form to the ABT district office in your area. Once you have received your beverage license, please provide the number and type of license to your DHR district office as soon as possible.

12. Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

The Internal Revenue Service assigns an ITIN to individuals who are not eligible for a social security number due to their status as an alien.  Each ITIN begins with the number nine and is formatted in the same configuration as a social security number (900-00-0000).  This number is available to alien operators upon the approval of their IRS form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number application. To obtain the form, contact the IRS or download the form from the Internet at:

Need Help?

All requests for public records, complaints, forms, and applications for licenses can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.

Steven von Bodungen, Director

Division of Hotels and Restaurants
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1011

Telephone: 850.487.1395