Governor Rick Scott Announces Nearly $200,000 in Scholarships Awarded to Minority CPA Students Throughout Florida
October 31, 2013
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Governor Rick Scott and the Department of Business and Professional Regulation’s (DBPR) Division of Certified Public Accounting today announced it awarded nearly $200,000 in scholarships to minority students studying to become certified public accountants at colleges and universities throughout Florida.
Governor Rick Scott said, “Florida’s colleges and universities are some of the best in the nation, and we are proud to help these students continue their education here in Florida. Through these scholarships, we are helping students and families as they work to attain their version of the American Dream.”
The Clay Ford scholarships were awarded through the CPA Education Minority Assistance Program, which was created in 1999 to encourage minorities to enter the profession.
“Florida’s foundation is one that is centered on diversity,” said DBPR Secretary Ken Lawson. “I’m thrilled that we are able to foster and promote this diversity by awarding the Clay Ford scholarships to minority students throughout Florida.”
The CPA Education Minority Assistance Program is funded by a portion from each individual and CPA firm license fee. Through the award, scholarship applicants may be awarded up to $6,000 per semester for a maximum of two semesters. The Florida Board of Accountancy’s CPA Education Minority Assistance Advisory Council met in August and September where they recommended scholarships to be awarded to the following individuals for the fall and/or spring semesters:
- Aimee Adams, Florida State University - $12,000.00
- Barreto Anouk, Florida State University - $12,000.00
- Melinda Archer, University of Central Florida - $12,000.00
- Claudia Brown, Florida State University - $12,000.00
- Thelma Dixie, St. Leo University - $12,000.00
- Tasha Ductant, Florida Atlantic University - $12,000.00
- Stephano Eckardt, University of Florida - $12,000.00
- Katherine Etcheverry, University of Central Florida - $12,000.00
- Abdiel Gonzalez, University of South Florida - $12,000.00
- Cristian Ioszpe, Florida State University - $6,000.00
- Carolina Martinez, Keller - $12,000.00
- Jennifer Mathurin, University of South Florida, St. Petersburg - $12,000.00
- Natalia Shpakova, Florida Atlantic University - $12,000.00
- Lauren Tindel, University of Central Florida - $12,000.00
- Edwin Valentin-Lopez, University of Central Florida - $12,000.00
- Karen Vergara, DeVry University - $6,000.00
- Jeffrey Von, Florida Atlantic University - $12,000.00
Applications are accepted each year on a rolling basis and will be applied to the appropriate school year. The deadline for applications for the 2014-2015 school year is June 1, 2014. Applications are available online here.
# # #
More information about DBPR is available online at www.myfloridalicense.com. Also, follow @FloridaDBPR on Twitter or Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation on Facebook for updates about license cycles, events and other important news.