Highlights Department Efforts to Pursue Governor’s Vision of Reasonable Deregulation That Broadens Access to Professional Careers for Floridians
Tallahassee, Fla. – Today, Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Secretary Halsey Beshears applauded Governor Ron DeSantis on delivery of the 2019 State of the State address, which emphasized the Governor’s bold commitment to pursuing appropriate deregulation of businesses and professions as a priority of his administration.
“Our charge from the Governor is clear, we must facilitate bold and appropriate deregulation for the hardworking men and women who are seeking to start or grow their professional careers in Florida,” said Secretary Beshears. “This mission is fundamental to making Florida a beacon of opportunity for individuals and businesses to enter the market and contribute to our state’s economic success.”
With the support of Governor DeSantis, Secretary Beshears has continued to lead this agenda for improving Florida’s regulatory environment for businesses and professions by:
- Hosting the Florida Deregathon, a first-of-its-kind, one-day gathering of seventeen professional licensing boards working to identify unnecessary regulations for modification or elimination;
- Working with the appointed members of Florida’s professional licensing boards to turn the Florida Deregathon’s recommendations into reality through concerted planning and action at subsequent board meetings;
- Coordinating with members of the Florida Legislature regarding recommendations of the Florida Deregathon that may require future statutory updates;
- Meeting with interested stakeholders representing the interests of varied businesses and professions to learn their perspectives on the status of Florida’s regulatory environment and their ideas for improving the regulatory outlook; and
- Challenging program managers within the Department to think critically and creatively regarding continued opportunities where the Department, under its own authority, can contribute to creating a more reasonable approach to certain regulated activities.
“With today’s address, Governor DeSantis is leading the dialogue on improving access to a stable job and a clear career path for Floridians,” said Secretary Beshears. “Our continued focus at DBPR will be achieving these objectives of broadening the pathway to enter skilled professions while balancing the interests of public health and safety.”
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation’s mission is to license efficiently and regulate fairly. The Department licenses and regulates more than one million businesses and professionals ranging from hotels and restaurants, real estate agents and accountants to veterinarians, contractors and cosmetologists. For more information, please visit www.myfloridalicense.com. Follow @FloridaDBPR on Twitter or Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation on Facebook for updates about license cycles, events and other important news.