Division of Hotels and Restaurants
Food Service Manager Certification FAQ
All information on this page is current and was last reviewed by the division on March 18, 2013.
1. Q: What is a Certified Food Manager?
A: Certified Food Manager is a designation awarded to individuals passing a written examination of their knowledge of food safety and sanitation. The standards for certification are developed by the Conference for Food Protection (CFP), a national food safety deliberative body, and endorsed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Exams are administered by CFP-accredited providers meeting CFP standards. DBPR currently recognizes four providers, as detailed below.
2. Q: Who must be a Certified Food Manager?
A: Section 509.039, Florida Statutes, and related administrative rules require managers responsible for storage, preparation, display and service of food in DBPR-licensed food service establishments to pass a Certified Food Manager examination. Every DBPR-licensed food service establishment must have at least one certified food manager, and one must be present any time four or more employees are engaged in preparation, storage, or service of food. Beginning July 1, 2008, managers have 30 days after employment to become certified.
3. Q. How do I get a Certified Food Manager Certificate?
A: To receive a Certified Food Manager Certificate you must either take and pass the Certified Food Manager exam or be certified by a division recognized equivalent.
4. Q: Who provides Certified Food Manager examinations?
A: DBPR currently recognizes four providers; contact them as follows for information and registration:
- The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF) offers the ServSafe® examination. Contact NRAEF: www.nraef.org or toll-free at 800-765-2122. Contact ServSafe®: www.servsafe.com or toll-free at 800-765-2122.
- The National Registry of Food Safety Professionals provides the Food Manager Certification Examination. Contact: www.nrfsp.com or toll-free at 800-446-0257.
- Prometric, formerly Thomson Prometric and formerly Experior Assessments, offers the Food Manager Examination. Contact: www.prometric.com or toll-free at 800-624-2736.
- 360training.com, Inc. (Learn2serve) offers state-specific, online Food Manager Certification nationwide. Contact: www.learn2serve.com or toll-free at 888.360.8764.
5. Q: When and where are Certified Food Manager examinations provided?
A: Exams are offered frequently at many locations throughout Florida . Some sessions require pre-registration while others may accept walk-ins. Contact an above provider directly for information regarding specific scheduling and registration requirements.
6. Q: How long is the food manager certification valid?
A: Certification is valid for five years, at which time the manager must be re-examined to remain certified.
7. Q: Are training services or study materials available to prepare for examinations?
A: Contact an above provider directly for information regarding pricing and availability of these services.
8. Q: How much does the examination cost?
A: Contact an above provider directly for information regarding exam pricing.
9. Q: Are examinations, training or study materials offered in other languages?
A: Providers may offer examinations and study materials in languages other than English, and should be contacted directly regarding availability.
10. Q. If I change jobs, does my Certified Food Safety Manager Certificate transfer to my new work location?
A: Yes. The Certified Food Safety Manager Certificate is person specific and is valid until it expires five (5) years from issuance.
11. Q: Is my food manager certification from another state valid in Florida ?
A: Proof of current certification from a recognized provider will be accepted until its expiration.