Division of Hotels and Restaurants
Public Food Service Establishment definition
(5)(a) "Public food service establishment" means any building, vehicle, place, or structure, or any room or division in a building, vehicle, place, or structure where food is prepared, served, or sold for immediate consumption on or in the vicinity of the premises; called for or taken out by customers; or prepared prior to being delivered to another location for consumption.
(b) The following are excluded from the definition in paragraph (a):
1. Any place maintained and operated by a public or private school, college, or university:
a. For the use of students and faculty; or
b. Temporarily to serve such events as fairs, carnivals, and athletic contests.
2. Any eating place maintained and operated by a church or a religious, nonprofit fraternal, or nonprofit civic organization:
a. For the use of members and associates; or
b. Temporarily to serve such events as fairs, carnivals, or athletic contests.
3. Any eating place located on an airplane, train, bus, or watercraft which is a common carrier.
4. Any eating place maintained by a hospital, nursing home, sanitarium, assisted living facility, adult day care center, or other similar place that is regulated under s. 381.0072.
5. Any place of business issued a permit or inspected by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services under s. 500.12.
6. Any place of business where the food available for consumption is limited to ice, beverages with or without garnishment, popcorn, or prepackaged items sold without additions or preparation.
7. Any theater, if the primary use is as a theater and if patron service is limited to food items customarily served to the admittees of theaters.
8. Any vending machine that dispenses any food or beverages other than potentially hazardous foods, as defined by division rule.
9. Any vending machine that dispenses potentially hazardous food and which is located in a facility regulated under s. 381.0072.
10. Any research and development test kitchen limited to the use of employees and which is not open to the general public.