DIVISION OF DRUGS, DEVICES AND COSMETICS
RETAIL PHARMACY DRUG WHOLESALE DISTRIBUTOR
A retail pharmacy drug wholesale distributor is a Florida retail pharmacy engaged in wholesale distribution of prescription drugs within this state.
Applicant Eligibility: This permit is issued only to:
- Establishments located in Florida.
- Community pharmacy establishments licensed under Chapter 465, Florida Statutes that purchase prescription drugs at fair market prices and “provide prescription services to the public.”
- “Provide prescription services to the public” means holding the pharmacy out to the public through prominently displayed pharmacy signs on the exterior of the building and adequate inventory on hand to fill a variety of prescriptions for a variety of medical conditions that would be required by the public generally.
Scope of Authorized Wholesale Distribution Activity: Prescription drug wholesale distributions under this permit are subject to the following limitations:
- Wholesale distribution activity may not exceed 30 percent of the total annual purchases of prescription drugs.
- Only the following customers located in Florida: (i) other community pharmacy establishments licensed under Chapter 465, Florida Statutes that purchase prescription drugs at fair market prices and “provide prescription services to the public”; (ii) Modified Class II institutional pharmacies; and (iii) health care practitioners licensed in this state and authorized by law to dispense or prescribe prescription drugs.
Application: Businesses seeking this permit must complete the Department’s application. Mail or deliver the application and all required attachments to:
Other Prescription Drug Licenses and Permits: Submit a legible photocopy of all permits and licenses issued to the applicant’s address authorizing the purchase of prescription drugs at that address, regardless of the issuing agency, including, without limitation, the community pharmacy license issued under Chapter 465, Florida Statutes qualifying the applicant for the permit.
License Term: Retail Pharmacy Drug Wholesale Distributor permits are valid through the last day of the initial issuance month in the second year of licensure. Example: A permit issued on September 12, 2011 would be valid through September 30, 2013.
Inspection: Passing an onsite inspection is not a prerequisite to issuance of this permit, although the department may conduct a pre-permit or routine inspection.
Fees: The application and permitting fee is $100 for a two-year permit. Make checks payable to DBPR.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing these forms, please call the Drugs, Devices and Cosmetics Program at (850) 717-1800.
Application Currently Unavailable Using Online Services