ALERT: Due to Hurricane Dorian, some license renewal deadlines have been extended.
Information on these deadlines and the DBPR Emergency Order 2019-01 is available at www.myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/Hurricane
Richard “Rick” Morrison, Executive Director
The Board of Professional Geologists is responsible for licensing and regulating the practice of professional geology. The board meets regularly to consider applications for licensure, to review disciplinary cases, and to conduct informal hearings relating to licensure and discipline. The board engages in rulemaking to implement the provisions set forth in its statutes and conducts other general business, as necessary.
In general the term “geology” means the science which includes the treatment of the earth and its origin and history, in general; the investigation of the earth’s crust and interior and the solids and fluids, including all surface and underground waters, and gases which compose the earth; the study of the natural agents, forces, and processes which cause changes in the earth; and the utilization of this knowledge of the earth and its solids, fluids, and gases, and their collective properties and processes, for the benefit of humankind.
PG – A “professional geologist” means an individual who by reason of their knowledge of geology, soils, mathematics, and the physical and life sciences, acquired by education and practical experience, is capable of practicing or performing, or offers to perform, geological services, including, but not limited to, consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, and geologic mapping.
GB – A “geologist business” means a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or other form of business entity engaged in the practice or performance of geology.
The requirements for becoming licensed in Florida are described in the statutes and rules. Choose a license type to apply.
- Professional Geologist – Initial license by Examination (PG 4701)
- Professional Geologist – Examination Retake – In-State (PG 4703)
- Professional Geologist – Examination Retake – Out-of-State (PG 4703)
- Professional Geologist – Initial License for Out-of-State Applicants (Endorsement) (PG 4701)
- Professional Geologist – Upgrade from Geologist In Training to Professional Geologist – In-State (PG 4701)
- Professional Geologist – Upgrade from Geologist In Training to Professional Geologist – Out-of-State (PG 4701)
- Professional Geologist – Provisional License (PG 4701)
- Professional Geologist – Professional Licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses (MVL 003)
Geologist in Training
Geology Business (Certificate of Authorization)
Note: If you have previously applied for your license, you may check your application status.
|License Types||Continuing Education Requirements||Fee||Expiration Date|
|Professional Geologist||None||$125||7/31/EVEN Year|
|Geology Business||None||$350||7/31/EVEN Year|
All requests for publications, documents, forms, applications for licenses, permits and other similar certifications can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Division of Professions
Board of Professional Geologists
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0791