For information and guidance for department stakeholders related to agency actions, updated meeting schedules, and other matters during this state of emergency, visit the DBPR Emergency Information Page at: www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/emergency.
Richard “Rick” Morrison, Executive Director
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation is responsible for licensing and regulating home inspectors. The Department’s Bureau of Central Intake and Licensure processes applications for licensure and refers complex applications to the home inspectors licensing office for final review. The Division of Regulation is responsible for complaint analysis and investigations, and the Office of the General Counsel provides prosecutorial services for disciplinary cases. The Department engages in rulemaking to implement the provisions set forth in its statutes and conducts other general business, as necessary.
Federal Lead-Based Paint Abatement Program
The United States Environmental Protection Agency is responsible for administering the lead based paint abatement program. Beginning in April 2010, anyone performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified and must follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. You can visit www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/pubs/traincert.htm for information on certification requirements and training programs.
HI – A “Home Inspector” means any person who provides or offers to provide home inspection services for a fee or other compensation.
The requirements for becoming licensed in Florida are described in the statutes and rules. Choose a license type to apply.
- Home Inspector – Initial Active License by Examination (HI 0401)
- Home Inspector – Initial Inactive License by Examination (HI 0401)
- Home Inspector – Initial Active License for Out-of-state Applicants (Endorsement) (HI 0401)
- Home Inspector – Initial Inactive License for Out-of-state Applicants (Endorsement) (HI 0401)
- Home Inspector – Initial License by Endorsement (10 Years of Experience) (HI 0401)
- Home Inspector – Professional Licensure for Military Personnel/Veterans/Military Spouses (MVL 003)
- Home Inspector – Continuing Education Provider Approval (HI 0403)
- Home Inspector – Continuing Education Course Approval (HI 0404)
- Florida Military Veteran Fee Waiver
- Florida National Guard Fee Waiver
- Military Personnel, Veterans and Military Spouses Licensing Fee Waiver
- Low Income Waiver of Licensing Fee
Note: If you have previously applied for your license, you may check your application status.
Licenses expire July 31st every even year.
DBPR will send you a notification that the renewal period is open, at which time you can renew your license(s). This will be 90-120 days before the expiration. All notices will be provided via email. We encourage you to keep your information up-to-date and renew online. DBPR online services offer a quick and easy way to renew your license, find license requirements, apply for a license and update a license.
Before midnight EST on the expiration date, you will need to complete the following requirements to renew your license:
- Complete the continuing education requirement; and
- Pay the renewal fee
See the “CE Requirements” tab for further information on Continuing Education to renew your license.
For more information concerning your license’s unique requirements, please click the relevant link below:
We encourage you to renew online. However, you can mail your renewal form and fee to:
Department of Business and Professional Regulation
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0783
|License Types||Continuing Education Requirements||Fee||Expiration Date|
|Home Inspector||14 hours of CE – minimum of 2 hours wind mitigation, 12 hours Department approved courses related to home inspection services or the components of a home.||$105.00||7/31/Even Year|
All requests for publications, documents, forms, applications for licenses, permits and other similar certifications can be obtained by contacting the Customer Contact Center.
Division of Professions
Home Inspectors Licensing Program
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0791