January 4, 2008
It’s hard to believe that it has already been a year since Governor Crist was sworn in and asked me to join his team. Every day it continues to be an honor to serve him and to serve you, and I remain grateful for your support.
The beginning of a New Year is always a great time to reflect on the accomplishments of the past year and to make resolutions for the one ahead. In 2007, your DBPR team worked diligently to improve the ways we serve you. Among our accomplishments, we include:
- Licensing over 1 million Floridians as businesses and professionals,
- Reducing call hold times from an average of 20 minutes to an average of 1.5 minutes,
- Reducing e-mail response times from an average of 40 days to under 48 hours,
- Launching the first phase of our document imaging project that will streamline our handling of the over 11 million documents we receive per year,
- Overhauling our entire website to make it more user-friendly, and
- Partnering with public and private organizations to educate the public about unlicensed activity, about underage drinking and more. . .
We made improving customer service a priority, and we hope that you have seen the difference.
But we’re not resting on our laurels. While much of our 2007 effort was geared towards the first part of our mission-License Efficiently- for 2008 we will be increasing our emphasis on the second part- Regulate Fairly. Already we are taking the Governor’s Plain Language initiative a step farther; we are working to clean up our rules and our forms to make them easier for our licensees to understand and to reduce the regulatory burden we place on our licensees. In addition, we are:
- Working to identify and repeal outdated and onerous regulations,
- Reducing fees wherever possible,
- Looking for ways to streamline our complaint and investigation process to allow for quicker resolution, and
- Proposing a legislative agenda that reduces regulation that does not protect the public and that allows us to use our resources more efficiently.
I hope that you will help us in this effort by letting us know as you identify forms that are confusing, ways that we can improve our regulatory oversight or ways to streamline our processes. By reducing the cost of regulation on our licensees, we can allow them to continue to grow and to help grow Florida’s economy.
We wish you all a very prosperous 2008. Thank you for your generous support in 2007, and thank you for your ongoing support of our efforts to make DBPR and Florida great places to do business.
Department of Business and
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Customer Contact Center:
Here is a schedule of next week’s professional
board meetings. For full meeting details, we’ve included a link
below to the
department’s online calendar.
January 8-10, 2008
BOARD OF SURVEYORS AND MAPPERS
January 9-11, 2008
CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY LICENSING BOARD