DBPR licenses and regulates nearly a million of Florida’s professionals and businesses. With such a large assortment of licensees, it’s difficult for Floridians to keep track of all the professions and businesses that fall under DBPR’s jurisdiction. DBPR’s Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB) is responsible for licensing and regulating nearly 84,000 construction industry licensees throughout Florida, but what are the specific services provided by these licensees?
The following construction industry categories fall under DBPR’s jurisdiction:
- Air conditioning services;
- Building contractor services;
- Commercial pool/spa services;
- General contractor services;
- Mechanical services;
- Plumbing services;
- Pollutant storage systems services;
- Residential contractor/builder services;
- Residential pool/spa services;
- Roofing services;
- Sheet metal services;
- Solar services;
- Underground utility and excavation services; and,
- Specialty services including drywall, demolition, gas line, glass and glazing, irrigation, marine, solar water heating, structure, tower, and swimming pool decking, excavation, finishes, layout, piping, structure, and trim.
Hiring only construction industry professionals licensed by DBPR to perform these services protects consumers from fraud or noncompliance and ensures hired professionals are properly educated, insured and qualified. Conversely, work completed by unlicensed individuals is often poor in quality or fails to meet building codes and regulations. Unlicensed individuals are often uninsured and can leave consumers helpless with a multitude of repairs to make.
Before hiring any construction industry professionals, I encourage Floridians to refer back to the list of construction industry services regulated by DBPR and verify the individual’s license. Consumers can verify licenses online at www.myfloridalicense.com or by calling 850.487.1395.
Department of Business and
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Customer Contact Center: