Department of Business and Professional Regulation Investigators Sweep Gilchrist and Levy Counties for Contractor Compliance
November 3, 2009
Gilchrist and Levy Counties—Today, Department of Business and Professional Regulation’s Division of Regulation investigators swept Gilchrist and Levy Counties looking for unlicensed contractors. During the sweep, investigators checked 11 licenses at 13 construction sites and found no unlicensed contracting violations.
“The department’s main goal is to increase compliance with state licensing laws, and I am pleased that today our investigators found 100 percent compliance in Gilchrest and Levy,” said Secretary Charles W. Drago.
This sweep is part of the statewide unlicensed activity operation during the first week of November. This effort is part of the division’s three-tiered approach to combat unlicensed activity through education, prevention and enforcement. Below are precautions that consumers can take to help protect themselves from unlicensed individuals:
- Always ask to see the State of Florida license.
- Note the license number and verify that the license is current and in good standing. To check a license, call 850-487-1395 or visit MyFloridaLicense.com.
- Ask for references and check each one.
- Do not pay cash and be cautious of writing checks made payable to individuals, especially when dealing with a company.
- Get everything in writing, including a detailed description of the work to be completed, a completion date and the total cost.
The department’s mission is to license efficiently and regulate fairly. The department licenses more than one million businesses and professionals ranging from real estate agents, veterinarians, and accountants to contractors and cosmetologists. For more information, please visit MyFloridaLicense.com.