board of Architecture and Interior Design
Continuing Education Requirements for 2011 Renewal
If you were licensed prior to February 28, 2010, you are required to complete 20 hours of continuing education. If you were licensed after March 1, 2010 you are not required to complete continuing education for the 2011 renewal but will be required to complete the following for subsequent renewals.
- 14 hours in health, safety, and welfare related courses
- 2 hours in Florida Building Code advanced courses
- 4 hours in optional or health, safety, and welfare related courses
Please visit the board’s web page to obtain an updated copy of the Architecture and Interior Design Continuing Education Handbooks at www.MyFloridaLicense.com > Doing Business with Us > Architecture and Interior Design > Information for Licensees. The handbooks provide information on approved courses, automatic providers, and out of state licensed continuing education credit.
Architects and Interior Designers are required to maintain proof of completion certificates in the event they are requested to document continuing education compliance. Proof of complying with the continuing education requirement is done shortly after the renewal cycle.
Locating the Florida Building Code course
The Florida Building Code 4 hour core course is no longer required. You must complete a Florida Building Code 2 hour advanced course for this renewal. You may obtain information regarding the Florida Building Code Advanced Courses approved by the Board of Architecture and Interior Design:
- access www.MyFloridaLicense.com
- click on “Find a CE Course”
- select the “Board of Architecture and Interior Design” from the drop down menu for board
- select the “Advanced Course” from the drop down menu for requirement
- leave the course name area blank
- click on search (This will provide you with a list of the board approved Florida Building advanced courses)
- to navigate the list use the arrow buttons located at the top and bottom of the page
- selecting the “info” button will give you the name and contact information of the course provider* who is authorized to teach the course as well as the delivery method, i.e. internet, correspondence, classroom, etc.
Locating all board approved providers and courses
To obtain a list of board approved providers and courses for architects and interior designers.
- access www.MyFloridaLicense.com
- click on “Doing Business with Us”
- click on “Architecture and Interior Design”
- scroll down the page to, Information for Licensees
- click on “List of continuing education providers and courses, and hours required”
For a list of automatic approved providers, please refer to the Continuing Education Handbooks on the board’s main web page.
To maintain a certificate of authorization you must have a current Florida licensed architect qualifying an architectural business, or a Florida licensed architect or interior designer qualifying an interior design business. The licensed individual qualifying the firm must be a principal officer of the business as reflected with the Department of State’s Division of Corporations. You may verify who the department has listed as your current qualifier through our online services at www.MyFloridaLicense.com.
Note: If you renew the certificate of authorization (business license) without a current, active qualifier the business license may be subject to disciplinary action per Chapter 481, Florida Statutes.